Molds or fungus are often seen as insignificant organisms but can be source of great discomfort. Those tiny creatures can be found everywhere and they tend to flourish more in warm and humid environments. There are normally two categories of molds, namely outdoor mold and indoor mold. Outdoor molds can be found in shady, humid regions or places where there is decomposition of organic elements. On the other hand, indoor molds can grow on any surface, as long as there is moisture, oxygen, and organic material. The most common type of household mold is Stachybotrys chartaru, commonly known as “black mold” and it is also the one which causes most of the damages.

Molds or fungus can do severe damages both to your health and homes. The most common side effect of mold is that, it triggers histamine reactions similar to airborne allergies. Those reactions are often mistaken as cold or sinus infection. However, they should not be taken so lightly as they can lead to various complications, for example if you are suffering from asthma. In some cases, mold allergies can really be troublesome; especially if you are dealing with hypersensitivity pneumonitis – (long exposure to mold inhalation). Some of the symptoms include difficulty in breathing, eye irritation, coughing, chest tightness, sore throat, sneezing etc…

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis is very rare but it can be developed over time in patients who are sensitive to mold spores floating in their environment. The most common form of hypersensitivity pneumonitis is “Farmer’s lung”. This serious allergic reaction is often triggered by mold found in hay and other types of crop material.  Farmer’s lung needs to be treated as quickly as possible as it can cause permanent damage to your lungs (scar tissues).  This scar tissue is commonly known as fibrosis and by worsening, the patient begins to have troubles in doing simple tasks. Once farmer’s lung starts to progress, it takes a more chronic form and symptoms may become more severe than simple allergic reactions. Patients suffering from Farmer’s lung may experience muscular pain, fever, blood-streaked sputum and chills. Molds are normally not deadly, but increase exposure can make symptoms get worse. Hence, to keep mold allergies at bay, the most obvious solution is to prevent its formation right from the beginning.

Mold not only affects your health, but it also worsens the state of your homes. Dealing with mold can be very costly, especially if your home has fallen prey to the problem of black mold. With the proliferation of mold, your home will soon face problems such as black stains on the walls, unpleasant smell (musty feeling), mold growing on your furniture and consumable items. Various insects are also attracted by mold and as a result, some houses can even experience massive invasions of bugs, beetles etc…However, mold can be a serious issue if it is not treated on time. There are many ways to deal with mold, for instance we can make use of an Air Purifier or Dehumidifier (see more at: www.purelifestylewonders.com) to get rid of mold. Molds normally reproduce by forming tiny spores, which float in the air and thus they can be trapped by the filters of an air purifier.  On the other hand, a dehumidifier will extract one of the main components required for mold proliferation from your environment, which is none other than excessive moisture.

Hence molds may be very tiny creatures but they got the ability to do great damages. Thus, it is better to keep them away as far as possible for the sake of your home and good health.